GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Long-term storage of rigid foam

JTyler | Posted in Project Management on

I plan to use reclaimed foam on a REMOTE wall home with the build beginning in June. The insulation will likely not be installed until August. I live in a remote area and am not sure when a supplier may have a source nearby, so I want to get the order in early (now?) and hopefully not end up paying for shipping from a distant site. I have two concerns:

1. Has anyone in Central Maine had good luck with a reclaimed foam supplier on shorter notice? In other words, can I safely wait until closer to the install date to place my order?

2. If I would be better off providing plenty of lead time and placing the order, am I looking at a disaster trying to store this stuff in stacks long term? I have a large greenhouse that I can store it in, covered with tarps to prevent deterioration from sun exposure. Assuming I can keep it off the ground with the sun off it and the squirrels out of it, is there any other possible storage disaster I am overlooking?

Thanks for any advice!

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Jim,
    Your storage plan sounds OK to me.

2. GBA Editor
    Patrick Mccombe | | #2

My experience is that small animals love nesting in and gathering nesting materials from virtually all types of insulation. Maybe you should put a farm cat in your greenhouse. I've bought foam from insulation depot and they sent more than I was expecting. If you decide to store it ahead of time, make sure you have more room than you think you'll need.

3. STEPHEN SHEEHY | | #3

Jim- I got reclaimed foam from what used to be called the insulation depot near Worcester MA. Even with shipping, it was a good deal. I ended up storing it outside with tarps over it and just some 2x4 under and it was fine for several weeks.
    The house is in Whitefield ME.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |