GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Comfortbatt/Rockwool/Roxul and temporary compressibility

rossn1 | Posted in Green Products and Materials on

I have some framers coming tomorrow and have a basement wall being constructed inside the existing wall so as to insulate inside the stem wall. I’m planning on using rockwool comfortbatt at the bottom of the wall to allow for some breathability of the stem wall.

Will I be able to squeeze the 5.5″ comfortbatt through a 3-3.5″ wide opening (it will expand to full size, once in the wall)?

It hard to tell if it can compress that much, even intermittently, though I’m guessing so.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. Expert Member
    MALCOLM TAYLOR | | #1

Ross,
    Yes they will compress fine. You just have to watch you don't tear them pushing them through.

2. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #2

Ross,
    Malcolm seems to understand your question, but I'm not sure I do.

The most important question is: Are you planning to install mineral wool batts directly against concrete? If you are, that's not a good idea, since mineral wool batts are air-permeable and vapor-permeable, allowing interior moisture to reach the cold concrete, where the moisture can condense.

It sounds like you want your concrete wall to dry to the interior. That's not a good idea. You don't want to invite the moisture in the concrete to enter your house.

For more information, see How to Insulate a Basement Wall.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |