GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Is this new insulation worthy of a GBA article or news item?

AlanB4 | Posted in Green Products and Materials on

I saw this on CleanTechnica

New Material Made From Wood Is Biodegradable Super Insulation
https://cleantechnica.com/2018/03/14/new-material-made-wood-biodegradable-super-insulation/

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Alan,
    Thanks for the link. Scott Gibson, our news editor, may be writing a story on this development.

2. NormanWB | | #2

Being from the south, I am very interested in the critter and varmit aspects.

3. charlie_sullivan | | #3

I read the actual scientific article. It's an interesting material. The process for making it is a lot like papermaking--removing the lignin chemically--except that the cellulose isn't ground up. On the one hand, that means that aspects of the process have been proven at scale, but on the other hand, it might be a lot slower to remove the lignin without grinding it up, and papermills aren't exactly environmentally benign. At least the good modern papermills contaminate water and air a lot less than the old ones did.

The strength is a little better than the competition, such as compacfoam and foamglas, but the moisture and rot resistance is certainly much less than those materials, so the particular applications might be different. I could see it being used in a window mounting assembly, for example, but only if there is an excellent flashing system.

The low emissivity is only for the solar spectrum, not for thermal radiation, so that property isn't useful in the way the cleantechnica article discusses. It's a little hard to figure out when that would be useful--it would have to be exposed directly to the sun for it to matter. It's not like it would work as a roofing material, and it's not that special a property--you can buy white paint easily enough.

In the discussion at Reddit the focus seemed to be on its likely flammability. I'm not sure whether that could be mitigated with borates as with other kinds of cellulose insulation without filling in the pores and degrading its insulation properties.

4. AlanB4 | | #4

@ Charlie
    That was my thought to, i have not read the paper but more then just R value matters, resistance to rot/fire, if it biodegrades while in use thats not good, moisture resistance and so on matter immensely.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |