GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Batts for rough-cut 2x4s?

dbaerg | Posted in Green Products and Materials on

I have a client that is gutting a house built in 1920. There is loose fill fiberglass between the rough cut 2×4 studs. If she replaces these with batts, the commonly available 3.5″ rock wool or fiberglass batts will only partially fill the cavities. Does anybody sell a full 4″ batt? Or is there some way this could be done properly? If she scrunches a 5.5.” batt into the cavity what R value could she expect from the compressed batt? Is it likely to cause problems with the drywall?

Thank you,

David Baerg

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. user-2310254 | | #1

You don't want a void, so it is better to compress a thicker batt. See this table (http://www2.owenscorning.com/literature/pdfs/10017857%20Building%20Insul%20Compressed%20R-Value%20Chart%20Tech%20Bulletin.pdf), which I saw referenced in a post in Allison Bailes' blog (https://www.energyvanguard.com/blog/compressed-fiberglass-insulation-really-so-bad).

The post was prompted by a comment from Dana Dorsett on GBA.

2. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #2

David,
    Steve is right. Purchase 5.5-inch batts and compress them. You'll get a higher R-value per inch with a compressed batt than an uncompressed batt.

You might end up with R-4 or even R-4.2 per inch -- in other words, R-16 to R-16.8.

3. GBA Editor
    Patrick Mccombe | | #3

I've faced this problem many times. Use the 2x6 batt. It will fit fine and it won't hamper hanging drywall.

4. walta100 | | #4

It is so rare for batts to be installed well even in modern framing. If you can every wall open at the same time wet sprayed cellulose insulation will give you a better fill for similar cost.

Walta

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |