GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Why is my canned spray foam product inconsistent?

alumniu | Posted in Green Products and Materials on

I’m using Great Stuff Pro spray foam (windows & doors, as well as gaps and cracks) with the Pro 14 gun, and I keep getting the same problem occur. The first 10-20 linear feet or so I spray out of a fresh can seems to come out of the gun really well, but when it drys it’ll get super hard and crumbly. After the first 10-20 feet it comes out of the gun super slow, and cures more like it should. So I ether get good application, poor end product, or vice versa.

I had this happen with my first gun, and replaced it thinking the gun was the problem. However, my second gun is probably 4 months old, and now having the same problem. When I finish with a can, I either clear out the gun with a can of cleaner, or I connect a fresh can immediately.

I know this stuff is reactive with humidity, but I get the same results regardless of humidity levels.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. walta100 | | #1

What is the temperature of the room and the product when applied?

Walta

2. JC72 | | #2

What was the expiration date ?

3. alumniu | | #3

Application temp has been anywhere from 50ºF to 70ºF.

The date on the last can I had problems with was OCT 2017....so 2 months past its "best by" date.

4. kenorakq | | #4

I've had the same experience. What I do now is warm the can in hot water.. 100f water.. for 10 minutes if I'm working is cool temps! Works much better and the spray is enthusiastic to empty.
    BTW... No need to clean after each use instead slowly let out a glob to seal the tip and then screw the nozzle closed... Screw at rear of gun... and let it dry. Just scrape off the glob before next job. I only clean my pro14 when I empty a can and don't get another can of foam on it.. if you add another can make sure to squirt enough foam through so no material that was exposed to the air is in the gun to dry out.

5. alumniu | | #5

Thanks for the tip Tim. I'll try warming up the can to see if it helps.

Thanks for the no-clean advise also.

6. alumniu | | #6

Tim-
    As a follow up, I bought a new gun, and have started warming up the cans prior to use. Haven't had a problem since doing this. I imagine the cold material was more of a problem than the gun, since the old gun was only a couple months old, and regularly cleaned out after use. Thanks again.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |