GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Basement / crawlspace insulation

user-6623302 | Posted in Green Building Techniques on

Basement of an addition has two levels. Most of the space is at normal height but about a third is raised to only about three feet high. Needed to do this because of the nearby ISDS. Energy auditors are recommending rigid foam on these “crawlspace walls” and not all the walls. Does this make sense?

Jon

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Jon,
    1. What does "ISDS" stand for?

2. What is your geographical location or climate zone?

3. Building codes require basement wall insulation in Climate Zones 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8. Homes in Climate Zones 1 and 2 are allowed to omit basement wall insulation.

2. JC72 | | #2

ISDS = septic?

3. user-6623302 | | #3

Zone 5A. Yes Septic. This is in a 15 year old addition, pre-code. This is a retrofit.

4. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #4

Jon,
    In Climate Zone 5, you definitely want basement wall insulation. Here is a link to an article with more information: How to Insulate a Basement Wall.

5. user-6623302 | | #5

Thanks, I was pretty sure of that. What I can understand is the auditors recommendation to only insulate the crawlspace portion. Maybe I should take what I can get but I want them to help pay for the whole thing.

6. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #6

Jon,
    Maybe you should ask the auditors this question.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |