GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Exterior rigid foam protection

chrisjohnston2112 | Posted in General Questions on

Hi, I am in the middle of building a home. The contractor has placed one-inch rigid foam insulation of the exterior of the home. Vinyl siding is going over this. At the bottom of the house, where the siding stops, you can reach under and feel the foam insulation. It is about 2 feet above grade.

Do I need to seal the bottom of the foam to prevent any critters from getting in, and if so how?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. jwyman | | #1

Chris,
    I notice that the details for vinyl siding and rigid insulation on this site show exposed insulation at the bottom of the wall. Contractors I work with either start with a wood nailer at the bottom or enclose the rigid insulation with a piece of aluminum flashing shaped like a 'J'. Depending on the climate area you are in, the flashing is a good idea to deter insects.

2. HDendy | | #2

Be careful not to trap draining water in the "J". Depending on where you detail the WRB it might wick back up behind it.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |