GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Tape widths

smokey059 | Posted in General Questions on

I’m doing some air sealing on plywood seams using 3 m flashing tape. Is there some standard range of what the width of the tape should be. Like wall to ceiling edge seam or floor to wall edge seam or even just the seams between two sheets of plywood. How does a person determine an appropriate width to use? Thanks

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Smokey,
    Good question. I think in most cases, it's just common sense or judgment that prevails here.

I think that 3-inch wide tape is wide enough for ordinary seams, but wider tape makes sense at wall-to-ceiling seams.

I'd be interested to hear from other GBA readers on this question.

2. Expert Member
    Michael Maines | | #2

Smokey, because high-quality tapes are expensive, it's an economics question--what is the narrowest width that allows you to do the job. Manufacturers may recommend X" of coverage on each side of a seam but I don't know of any examples. I agree with Martin; in most cases, tape in the 3" range is good, but even 2 3/8" (or 60mm) width is more common among the European tapes. Sometimes wider widths are better for taping windows or wall-to-foundation joints.

3. smokey059 | | #3

Thanks for the help. Ill just go with the 3 inch except for the wall ceiling and wall floor ill use 6inch

4. Trevor_Lambert | | #4

6 inch is massive overkill. We used 2" at wall to ceiling and wall to floor. Seemed like plenty.

5. JC72 | | #5

@Michael

ZIP system requires their min 3-3/4" tape. Granted that's their own re-branded third party tape (Huber doesn't manufacture the tape).

6. Expert Member
    Michael Maines | | #6

Good point, John. 3M makes Zip tape and there isn't a narrower version than 3 3/4" so it's pretty hard to screw that one up. On a recent project I designed the contractor used 3M 8067 All Weather Flashing Tape, 3" wide, on plywood seams and tested at 0.12 ACH50. At Ecocor, where I used to work, we used 2 3/8" Pro Clima Tescon Vana extensively and almost always tested at 0.4 ACH50 or lower.

The real key with any acrylic-adhesive tape is that it needs to be rolled or "paddled" to achieve full adhesion. I recently described it to someone as, imagine the acrylic adhesive is a bunch of little balls that need to be burst in order to release the adhesive. I'm not sure about the chemistry but I believe that's not far from an accurate description. Then you have to wait 24-72 hours for the adhesive to fully activate.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |