GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Crawl space: To vent or not to vent?

Ytsehoos | Posted in General Questions on

Building here in Chattanooga (CZ-4), there is possiblity of a basement due to shallow soil before bedrock. And we’re on a slope, so crawlspace it is.

I’ve been preparing myself for a conditioned crawlspace but have run across info from 475 that is making me question. If the underside of batt insulation is sealed with a product like one of their Solitex Mento products, airtight yet vapor open, would this be an alternative to sealing the entire space? Thoughts?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

YT,
    First of all, can you tell us your name?

The best advice from building scientists is summarized in this article: Building an Unvented Crawl Space.

Especially in your geographical area (Tennessee), creating an unvented conditioned crawl space is by far the best approach, for the reasons explained in my article -- certainly better than insulating the crawl space ceiling.

2. Ytsehoos | | #2

Martin! Thank you for the response and this site, it had been a tremendous resource.

Sorry about the nickname. I'm Brian.

I have read and reread that article and it has been my baseline but I wasn't sure if the idea of an airtight and vapor open barrier on the underside of batt insulation would be a game changer or not.

Brian

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |