GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Basic vapor barriers question (kneewalls)

FrankFulton | Posted in General Questions on

I’ve been reading GBA on air barriers.

Basic building science question that I’m hoping you can help me understand:

From a vapor/moisture perspective (ie, ignoring the 2x thermal barrier), what are risks to hanging polyiso on kneewall AND on roofline in a kneewall space? How much airflow is needed to reduce those risks of 2x vapor barrier?

Thanks.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Emerson,
    I'm not sure what risk you're talking about. I don't think there is a risk.

For more information, see “Two Ways to Insulate Attic Kneewalls.”

If you do a good job of insulating along the roofline, you don't need any insulation in the kneewalls.

2. Jon_R | | #2

Space located part way through the total insulation can suffer from excessive humidity. Warm side vapor barriers and air sealing help, cold side makes it worse - but it can occur anyway. A small amount (depends greatly on conditions) of air flow (draw from the lower dew point side) helps. Or a dehumidifier (when warm enough). Start by monitoring % relative humidity.

3. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #3

Emerson and Jon,
    There are a lot of unknowns here, but it is really hard to imagine that the triangular attic behind the kneewall will have a moisture problem under these circumstances. Anyone proposing a moisture problem has to start by answering the question, "Where do you think the moisture is coming from?"

I guess if we want to really delve into this question, we would need to know whether Emerson (a) plans to install air-sealed blocking in the joist bays under the kneewall bottom plate, and (b) plans to install air-sealed blocking in the rafter bays above the kneewall top plate, and (c) plans to insulate the joist bays under the triangular attic behind the kneewall, and (d) plans to air seal leaks from the exterior into the triangular attic behind the kneewall.

We would also need to know Emerson's climate zone and the proposed R-value for the kneewall and the sloped roof assembly.

All that said, I stand by my original answer.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |