GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Can Housewrap ‘melt’ under steel siding?

user-7015584 | Posted in GBA Pro Help on

I am installing metal siding on a new construction Home and planned on installing Hydrogap by Benjamin Obdyke underneath. The siding contractor has expressed concern that the paper or the dimples on it may melt.
Has anyone ever experienced housewrap ‘melting’ from the suns heat.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. user-7015584 | | #1

Sorry, as a clarification I live in climate zone 5

2. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #2

User 701etc.,
    Can you tell us your name?

According to the Hydrogap web site, HydroGap is compatible with metal siding. But if you have any doubts, call up Benjamin Obdyke's technical help line (800-346-7655).

3. user-7015584 | | #3

Hi Martin,

Appreciate the feedback. I didn't find any commentary about paper 'melting' online. My installer wants me to use Titanium PSU30 instead of the Hydrogap.

Thanks

Peter

4. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #4

Peter,
    You need to get another installer. Your installer is ignorant.

The synthetic roofing underlayment suggested by the installer (a) is a roofing product that is not designed for use on walls -- meaning that you are violating the manufacturer's installation instructions to use it on walls, and (b) has a vapor-permeance of only 0.033 perm, which makes it a vapor barrier -- in your case, a wrong-side vapor barrier that could easily lead to wall rot.

5. user-7015584 | | #5

Thanks Martin

Was Kind of thinking the same myself. Appreciate the feedback and the website. Great resource. Well done

Peter

6. Expert Member
    Michael Maines | | #6

Fortunately, Benjamin Obdyke has this note specifically for this situation: http://www.benjaminobdyke.com/uploads/resources/HydroGap_Under_Metal_Cladding_Tech_Bulletin.pdf.

I don't think it's unreasonable for the installer to be concerned--it's no fun to see ice and water shield melting out from below metal roofing. There are now high-temp roofing underlayments made for the additional heat of a metal surface facing the sun, which can withstand over 200°F.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |