GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Cellulose

user-1015969 | Posted in GBA Pro Help on

I thank everyone for their answers. It seems that I jumped the gun a little. I didn’t even consider the weight of the cellulose and have already hung the ceiling drywall. Is there anything I could do after the fact to support this weight. Maybe strapping on top of the joist to help carry the load? Any other suggestions would be welcome.
Thank you

Read more: https://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/community/forum/gba-pro-help/104906/cellulose#ixzz5BhRniIWV
Follow us: @gbadvisor on Twitter | GreenBuildingAdvisor on Facebook

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. Expert Member
    Michael Maines | | #1

Steve, I know it's frustrating when you don't get answers on your main thread, but it makes it hard for everyone to follow along when somebody posts a new thread on the same topic. It's much better to just post a "bump" or reminder to bring your thread to the top of the list. The link you posted helps, but in the future, please just keep additional questions in the same thread.

To answer your question, I think strapping above the joists would work fine. If you install them first, though, it will be a little trickier for the cellulose installers to get full coverage underneath. If possible, I would have them fill up the joist bays, then lay your strapping (or plywood, or other covering) over the joists, then have them complete the cellulose installation. But ask them first--they may prefer to do it all at once.

2. user-1015969 | | #2

Thank you Michael

3. seabornman | | #3

Keep in mind that drywall has changed in recent years. Check the specs for the drywall you are using. Many 1/2" panels will hold up more weight than the older panels.

4. user-1015969 | | #4

Thanks Joel I will do that.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |