GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Vinyl Windows with Synthetic Stone (2)

user-6957254 | Posted in GBA Pro Help on

I posted this question last week, but it appears it was closed. We have Vinyl Windows installed, some with integral J Channel and some with Brick Molding and integral J Channel. On one wall of the home, we plan to instead install synthetic stone. I have been researching how best to use these windows with the stone.

I have contacted the stone manufacturer, and they had zero advice to offer. I also contacted the window manufacturer, and they have been no help either.

I have seen this topic posted on a few building sites, but no clear answer as to how to move forward. The window manufacturer doesn’t offer a J Channel filler that snaps in, as some other companies offer.

I am thinking it may be best to install a drip cap at the head, and go over the J Channel. The stone would abut against the window on the sides, but not sure what to do with the gap there and also the sill.

Any insight is appreciated. I have buried myself in this topic for a while, without any clear advice or answers.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Kathleen,
    The first thread hasn't been closed. It's still there. I posted an answer there on January 8.

I suggest that you and all future commenters return to the original thread and post your comments there. Here is the link: Vinyl windows with synthetic stone.

I have posted your comments from this page on the original page, so you don't have to re-write them.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |