GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Another selection criterion for mini-splits

user-1137156 | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

I’ve looked at many close cousins in the mini split market and have observed a few interesting facts, some of which might affect which unit I choose. 1. Modulation range this is expressed on the data sheet by a minimum and maximum capacity @ 70f. Observation, there appear to be several “classes”
with the most common max/min being 3 but this ranges from 2.5 all the way to just over 10. many data sheets also include power at the capacity limits. 2 COP the ratio of thermal output to electrical input ( BTU output/3412 =watts out) If it is stated on the data sheet it’s at rated output. I found some data sheets on units that have power input at min&max capacity so I was able to calculate COP at min&max. output. The COP @ min ” metric” ranged from 2.8, I’d say not bad to 0.77, I’d call that stupid. What I’d call the best “performer” has a capacity range over 10 with a minimum COP of 1.8 and max output COP of 3.2 with rated output COP of 3.6

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. user-1137156 | | #1

Selection by size or even modulation range may be less than"best"!

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |