GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. Expert Member
    MALCOLM TAYLOR | | #1

It doesn't look like they have a ULC rating. You should probably call them to find out.

2. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #2

Malcolm,
    According to several online sources, Airfoil electrical boxes are UL-rated. Is the ULC rating in Canada a separate rating that requires independent testing?

3. user-723121 | | #3

Canada has a different grounding requirement (grounding strap) than does the US. We do not offer a Canadian compliant product at this time.

4. Expert Member
    MALCOLM TAYLOR | | #4

My understanding is that if UL products are manufactured to Canadian standards they then get a ULC label. They may be approved, but as they haven't get any distributers in Canada, may not have bothered.
    https://www.trade.gov/td/standards/markets/Western%20Hemisphere/Canada/Canada.pdf

I have noticed differences between American and Canadian boxes. One is that ours have a tab running from the face screw back to the ground nut so the cover plate is grounded.

Because this seems to be a confusing issue, I'd suggest they easiest way to confirm they are approved is a call to Airfoil.

5. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #5

Thanks, Doug. (For GBA readers who don't know Doug McEvers: he is the inventor of the Airfoil box and the founder of Airfoil, Inc.)

6. lance_p | | #6

Doug, that's a shame! That's a nice looking set of products you have there!

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |